Thursday, December 10, 2009

I need a quote in Pennsylvania Dutch (Low German) about being late for dinner and getting what'

When I was a kid, my mother painted a dry sink with the words for "He who is late for dinner gets what's left." It starts "Die wo net kumma ..." I don't know German and can't remember any more of the original. It was a collaboration between my mother and her father, who was Pennsylvania Dutch on one side and naturalized German-American on the other. The dry sink (sort of a kitchen cabinet with 2 doors under a drawer and an open top area with a 4" high edging around it) was in our dining room until the house was sold.



I need a quote in Pennsylvania Dutch (Low German) about being late for dinner and getting what's left.?performing show



Sorry, the only item I could find said that Pennsylvania Dutch/low German would say "supper" not "dinner." Hope that helps with your search.



P.S. I kept searching because my curiousity was piqued. I came across the name of a fellow who has published a book with low German sayings. Perhaps you could write to him. His name and address are on the link below.



http://www.colecampmo.com/history.html



I need a quote in Pennsylvania Dutch (Low German) about being late for dinner and getting what's left.?opera score opera theaterCould this be it? "War net kumt zu rechta zeit, mus esa wos iwrich bleibt." It translates as: "Who doesn't come at the right time, must eat what remains." It's the only such saying I recall at the moment. I hope it helps. Peace. Karl Report It


my curiosity is piqued, too.... talked to my mom and dad, who grew up speaking low German (grandma and grandpa spoke in broken German/English ALL The time).



my dad's working on it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
computer security